Northeast Philadelphia – Action News reported that five gym-goers had to be taken to the hospital after being exposed to chlorine at an LA Fitness in Northeast Philadelphia.
According to officials, the preliminary findings were indicating that there was too much chlorine in the gym's pool. All five of the people that were exposed were transported to local hospitals by ambulance. Local investigators remained at the LA Fitness, located on the 2500 block of Grant Avenue after the gym members were taken to the hospital for treatment.
The gym was subsequently closed following the incident; however, the gym planned on re-opening after the chlorine fumes dissipated.
The medics said that none of the five people were in life-threatening condition.
Facts about Chlorine
Chlorine is a chemical that is used in both commercial and household cleaning products. It is among the ten massed produced chemicals made in the United States. At room temperature chlorine is a gaseous substance; it is yellow-green in color and has a pungent, irritating odor, very similar to bleach. While it does not catch fire easily, when combined with certain substances it can form explosive compounds.
Chlorine is commonly used to disinfect water, such as water in Jacuzzis, and swimming pools. It is also used to process sewage and industrial waste. Because of chlorine's widespread use in public pools and in industry, exposure to chlorine can occur through an accidental spill. The most harmful route of exposure comes from inhaling chlorine gas. Exposure can also occur when the skin or eyes are exposed to chlorine gases.
According to the New York State Department of Health, when chlorine enters the body through inhalations, swallowing, or through skin contact, the chlorine reacts with water to produce acids. These acids are corrosive and damage cells in the body upon contact. The most dangerous form of chlorine exposure comes from inhalation, and the health effects are almost immediate. The most common symptoms of chlorine exposure include:
- Airway irritation
- Sore throat
- Eye and skin irritation
- Tightness in chest
- Difficulty breathing
When an individual inhales high levels of chlorine, it can result in fluid build-up in the lungs, otherwise known as pulmonary edema.
If you have been exposed to toxic chemicals while visiting a public place or through work exposure and have experienced serious, adverse side effects, you may have legal grounds to file a personal injury claim. Please contact a Philadelphia personal injury attorney from the Law Offices of Thomas J. Murphy, Jr. to find out how attorney Murphy can help you.