Nationwide & State Auto Accident Statistics
Auto accidents are a relatively commonplace occurrence throughout the entire U.S. Most people who drive or who are regularly driven by others will be involved in an accident at some point in their lives. In reviewing auto accident statistics, it is evident that these are serious issues nationwide. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is a recognized source of auto accident statistics. Following are some of the statistics from the most recent studies:
Nationwide Auto Accident Statistics
- In 2008, 37,261 people lost their lives in traffic accidents throughout the U.S.
- Approximately 5.8 million accidents were reported that same year, causing injury to 2,346,000 people.
- 4,146,000 accidents resulted in property damage alone.
- 5,290 motorcyclists lost their lives in traffic accidents in the United States, in 2008.
- 4,378 pedestrians lost their lives and 69,000 were injured nationwide that same year.
- 4,229 people lost their lives in large truck accidents in 2008 (accidents involving trucks weighing in excess of 10,000 pounds.)
- It is estimated that approximately 13,250 lives were saved by seat belt use in 2008.
- There were 11,773 alcohol-related fatalities in 2008, a decrease from the number of fatalities from the previous year: 12,546.
- The cost of speeding-related traffic accidents alone is estimated at over $40 billion every year.
- Of all traffic fatalities in 2008, 71% were male. 70% of pedestrian fatalities were males, as well as 87% of cyclist fatalities.
Pennsylvania Auto Accident Statistics
- 1,468 people lost their lives in traffic accidents in Pennsylvania in 2008 alone.
- Of these, 496 lives were lost in accidents that involved a driver with a blood alcohol concentration of .08% or greater, above the legal limit.
- 8 cyclists lost their lives in Pennsylvania traffic accidents in 2008.
- 195 large trucks were involved in fatal auto accidents in Pennsylvania in 2008.
- 227 motorcyclists in Pennsylvania lost their lives in auto accidents throughout the state, in 2008.
Help for Car Accident Victims in Philadelphia
Have you been injured in an auto accident? If so, consulting an experienced accident lawyer is important, and will enable you to fight for justice. This will offer you the opportunity to learn more about your rights and options in filing an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover money for the injuries and other losses you have sustained.
As an experienced Philadelphia car accident attorney, Thomas J. Murphy has the knowledge and experience needed to file comprehensive claims that provide our clients with the best opportunity to obtain maximum compensation.
Contact the Law Offices of Thomas J. Murphy, Jr today or fill out a
free case evaluation to learn more about your legal options!